Thursday, September 22, 2011

Be Brave, Be Kind

I expect to pass through life but once.  If therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again.  ~William Penn

If we all took the time to make someone else's day a little brighter, we'd be living in a different world.
Source
This evening I got on the bus to head home after my first day of class. A girl sat down next to me, talking on her cellphone. I didn't pay much attention to her, thinking about how hungry I was and how my head kind of hurt. Then I heard her say a string of words that caught my attention.
"Do you have any advice about picking a psychologist?"
Boy do I, I thought. But she was still speaking on the phone. I shouldn't have eavesdropped, but really, we were right next to each other on a boring bus ride. I listened to her talk to her friend/mom/whoever and wished that I could talk to her as well. I pulled out my notebook and wrote her a note, offering her my number if she wanted to talk. At my stop, I handed it to her and got off.
I made myself a snack at home and came back to see a new voice mail on my phone. I hadn't heard my phone ring so I thought it was an old message that was popping up because my phone wanted to delete it. But it was her. When she said it was the nicest thing anyone had done for her in awhile, I felt so indescribably happy.

Source


I'd almost not said anything to her. It seemed awkward. We were complete strangers and I was listening in on her conversation. But I did it and I'm so glad. I hope she finds what she's looking for.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
                                                                                    

1 comment:

  1. That was very sweet of you. It's great to have people like you in this world helping others. When I'm at stores, I'm usually having a small chit chat with strangers. One time this elder lady and I kept getting in each others way. She was about 70+ years old. Then we both laughed and she said "You wanna dance?" lol. She actually made MY day.

    Well I am a follower of your blog, hope you will follow back :)

    ~Jasmine

    ReplyDelete